Monday, January 31, 2011

Savoy Cabbage





For dinner tonight I had baked apple chicken and sauteed cabbage with apple cider butter. My lovely friend and roommate gave me a cookbook for my birthday called Fast, Fresh & Green: More Than 90 Delicious Recipes for Veggie Lovers by Susie Middleton. The cabbage recipe is the first one I attempted from this new book. I like the way the book is organized. It is sectioned off by cooking method (quick-roasting, quick-braising, sauteing, etc) with a nice intro at the beginning of each chapter explaining how the cooking method works. For this recipe I sauteed cabbage strips and yellow onion in butter. And drizzled the cabbage with some apple cider butter made by boiling down apple cider to a syrupy consistency, and adding butter and rice vinegar.

The end result gets two thumbs up! I especially liked the browned bits of caramelized onion and cabbage. The slightly sweet and fruity apple cider butter added a nice kick of flavor to the nutty sauteed cabbage.


Savoy cabbage has pretty crinkled leaves that are dark green on the outside and get paler as you get nearer to the almost white core.

Cabbage is from the cruciferous family and like other members of that family savoy cabbage also has anti-cancer properties. It is a good source of vitamin C.

Recipe, "Sauteed Savoy Cabbage with Apple Cider Butter" taken from:
Middleton, Susie, and Ben Fink. Fast, Fresh, & Green. Chronicle Books Llc, 2010. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment